Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1996 Dodge Stratus Power Steering: PLZ HELP!!?

Steering problem

1996 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic



August of 2009 my power steering belt broke. I had bought a new one and after a few weeks driving with no power steering I and had it repaired the next time I had my oil change. No other problems occurred except for the typical mild tension and whining my car would experience turning even before the belt had broke. (Should I also mention that the whining never occurred while I drove w/o power steering?)



This past weekend, my car was idling in a drive thru (after running over a pretty deep pot hole) and I heard something pop from my engine, and then the sound of liquid pouring onto the concrete, the issue? My power steering has gone out, again.



I bought some power steering fluid after checking it and seeing it was pretty low. It didn't really help. Despite this, my car runs fine, all the gauges, temperature ect. read out good.



After all that I would just like to know what my options are regarding this car. With the information given, what could the diagnosis be? How much would you suspect this issue to cost, and or if its viable for a car savvy friend to repair, what steps would be given to carry out such a task?



Any answers would be greatly appreciated!1996 Dodge Stratus Power Steering: PLZ HELP!!?
you may have damaged the rack and pinion unit on it when you drove it without the belt being on it and that may be where the fluid is leaking from on it ,first thing you really need to find out is where the fluid is going to and go from the with it,without knowing where is leaking from there's no more i can tell you on it,good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment