Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How long can a squeaking power steering pump be left alone?

So yesterday I start pulling out of my driveway in my '89 LeSabre (Vin C 3800 motor, pump has 220k miles) when I noticed my power steering feeling wonky and the pump making a terrible noise. I check the fluid and it was foamy, yellow, and super low. I must have a small leak and the empty space must have gotten filled with condensation (was raining all day) and then mixed with the remaining fluid. I sucked out the old fluid and poured in some fresh fluid and off to school I went.



So... I check it again today and its super low... again.... at least its not foaming this time. However, the pump has developed a squeak so its time for a new one. I'm actually going to salvage the pump and lines off an '89 Bonnie parts car but I can't get at for a couple days.



So my questions:



1. Can I drive my car with the bad pump for a couple hundred miles and be ok? I commute a pretty good distance to school but I should be able to swap out the pump in about a week. I'll keep the fluid topped off in the mean time and the squeaking isn't terrible right now.



2. How exactly is the pumped changed out? 2x 13mm bolts to the motor and then a couple 10mm fittings to the rack, then pull the lines and pump out as an assembly?



Thanks for any input folks :)How long can a squeaking power steering pump be left alone?
Yes you can still drive the car with a squeaking power steering pump. Can't really tell you how long the pump will last but even if it goes out completely it is still drivable just really hard to turn. If you want to get a little more time out of the pump fill it up with transmission fluid. It is thicker than steering fluid so it will not leak as fast and will still work Just fine. and to change the pump as long as the pulleys are the same you just unhook the lines unbolt the pump and replace. If the pulley is different you will need to get them both pressed off and the new one pressed on to the pump. most parts stores should have the tool for this to rent.How long can a squeaking power steering pump be left alone?
The one thing you have neglected to mention is %26quot;where the leak is%26quot;...THAT is what needs to be repaired before you even consider how long you can drive with a squeaky pump. Allowing the pump to run low everyday is just asking for a more catastrophic failure that would likely cost more money...How long can a squeaking power steering pump be left alone?
If you keep it topped off you will be ok. I had one go dry and finally after 3000 miles it went out. I think it lasted so long is because a small bit stayed in the pump to lubricate it.

good luck on 2 question. It really shouldn't be too difficult. It might be easier to remove the lines 1st. If you have access to tubing wrenches will help the chance of rounding off corners of the fittingsHow long can a squeaking power steering pump be left alone?
power steering is only to make slow speed turning easier and is not a major requirement but you could need a new rack and pinion/steering box depending on type of steering and where the leak is....the bad noise is proberbly because of the pump working on low fluid

No comments:

Post a Comment