Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to tell if clutch is still good?

I ask this question b/c I went to get an oil change at dealer and they offer to top off any fluids. Before I took my car in I checked my fluids to see where the level was, 1) to see if they needed topping off, and 2)to see if would really do it. anyway my fluids were ok except my power steering fluid was really dark {not sure if that is correct color}. My brake/clutch fluid was dark also, and I know for sure it should be clear. Also it was almost at the min mark. Anyway stupid me I didn't check at dealership if they did it or not. But when I got home I did and nothing was topped off. Again Coolant, washer fluid, power steering, and brak/clutch fluid were ok. Even if they didn't top off wouldn't they mention that my brake/clutch fluid was dark and not clear which could suggest a problem? What about my power steering{if ATF fluid is used then shouldn't it be red not dark brown/black. What does this mean for my clutch and power steering fluid.



By the way my car is 2000 ford focus LX with IB5 Manual transmission. 117383 miles on clock. ThanksHow to tell if clutch is still good?
Fist off if your brake fluid is low and not leaking you might need new pad/shoes,your brake fluid go's down as your brake pads/shoes wear out.You don't top off brake fluid,just replace pads or shoe's.If you want to change the fluid,then you draw the old fluid out the top and fill it with fresh fluid and bleed the lines till the fluid runs clear.The same applies to your clutch fluid.



If you want to test your clutch,go up a steep hill and when you shift into 2ed or 3rd gear give it a little extra gas to see if you can make it slip.



When I see very low cluch fluid and there is no leaks then I replace the clutch,pressure plate and through out bearing.



As far as the brake/clutch fluid being dark...that does'nt alarm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment