Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I was driving my 1991 Nissan Stanza, and suddenly the accelerator went limp...?

It had no give, and I couldn't accelerate unless I press the pedal hard to the floorboard. It's a lot slower accelerating now, and none of the mechanics I've talked to know whats wrong. The oil, and power steering fluid were just changed (I actually just bought this car a couple days ago, it was checked out before I bought it and was fine), It has a new battery, and I was told the fuel filter and air filter are fine.



If anyone can point me in the right direction about what's wrong, and let me know how much it'll cost to fix it, please let me know. I got this car because it checked out okay by my mechanic and I could afford it. Buying a different car is not an option.I was driving my 1991 Nissan Stanza, and suddenly the accelerator went limp...?
sounds like your accelerator linkage is broken or slipped just pop the hood and look on the throttle body at where the throttle cable comes in and see if it is broke or slipped also turn the throttle manually and make sure the butterfly flap inside the intake is opening with the throttle you will have to take the big black hose off to the air filter to see it but if you move the throttle back and forth and the butterfly isnt opening then it could be broken but try looking there first and you can pretty much go from thereI was driving my 1991 Nissan Stanza, and suddenly the accelerator went limp...?
Sounds like Don is on the right track . sep for 1 thing the linkage is there but the carp is not. its fuel injected . but like he said I bet the cable is stretched broke inside the line. good luck . Way to go DonI was driving my 1991 Nissan Stanza, and suddenly the accelerator went limp...?
Try Don's suggestions as it sounds like he's heading in the right direction. I'll add a couple more thoughts though...



a) Your TPS (throttle position sensor) might be bad. Grab a digital ohm meter and test it carefully. Youtube has videos on how to do this.



b) Run a test on the fuel pressure and make sure it is up to specs.



c) Make sure your airflow isn't being blocked or restricted.



If you're getting good fuel pressure, good airflow, your throttle linkage and the TPS is working, it shouldn't be acting like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment