Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How much should I pay for a rack and pinion job on a 2000 Buick LeSabre?

I brought my car in today for a simple oil change. They told me that my power steering fluid is leaking and that the rack and pinion needs to be replaced. They quoted the job at $1354.12!!! Is that reasonable? (I'm in Chicago.) I've went there for several other repairs and trust them generally, but this just sounds way overpriced...

I'm waiting to for input and maybe a 2nd opinion, but they also told me it's not good to drive around with it. I was planning to go out of town this weekend- is it unsafe to take my car? Would it cause more damage and cost even more?!

Thanks for any input!How much should I pay for a rack and pinion job on a 2000 Buick LeSabre?
If it wasn't out of fluid, then the leak isn't that bad. Tell them to leave it alone.



The rack and pinion may not be bad. The car is not that old.



You need to find the leak. It could be the high pressure hose fitting. In the mean time, it is very drivable, just monitor the fluid level.

No comments:

Post a Comment