Saturday, November 20, 2010

Is this how I should change my Power Steering fluid?

Ok, so the dealership says that I need my power steering fluid flushed out. I am going to replace it myself.

I bought 3 of the one liter bottles of Prestone power steering fluid. I plan on sucking out the old stuff with a turkey baster and then filling it back up with new fluid and then starting up my truck and then turning the wheel back and forth a bunch of times and letting my truck run for a minute. Then sucking the fluid out again, and repeating this process until I use up all the fluid, but leaving enough new fluid to finish it off.



So my question is, will this flush the power steering system out good? Should I add a conditioner to the fluid when I am done? Do I have to worry about air bubbles getting into the system?Is this how I should change my Power Steering fluid?
from the gm service manual: NOTE: I picked a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4WD since you didn't mention what vehicle you have but the procedure should probably remain the same. If you email me with the year, make, model, and engine I can probably get you the right procedure.



Power Steering System Flushing

Important: Do not reuse any drained power steering fluid regardless of appearance or condition.



Turn OFF the engine.

Raise the front end of the vehicle off the ground until the tires and wheels turn freely. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.

Place a large container under the fluid return hose in order to collect the draining fluid.

Remove the fluid return hose at the power steering pump reservoir inlet connection.

Plug the reservoir return hose inlet connection on the power steering pump.

Important: This step may require 4 L (4 qt) of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.



With the key on engine off, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and to the right while an assistant maintains the minimum fluid level in the reservoir using new approved power steering fluid. Continue until the fluid from the return hose runs clear.

Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection and install the fluid return hose to the pump reservoir.

Important: Do NOT run the engine without the power steering fluid at a minimum system level.



Bleed the power steering system. Refer to Power Steering System Bleeding.

Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:

? Milky fluid - water



? Brown fluid - burnt



? Plastic debris or dirt chunks



If the fluid is contaminated, repeat steps 2-9.

Lower the vehicle and check the Power Steering system for leaks.



Important: Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.



Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.

Important: With hydro-boost only, the oil level will appear falsely high if the hydro-boost accumulator is not fully charged. Do not apply the brake pedal with the engine OFF. This will discharge the hydro-boost accumulator.



If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:

2.1. Start the engine.



2.2. Firmly apply the brake pedal 10-15 times.



2.3. Turn the engine OFF.



Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.

Vehicles equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to 15 to 20 stop to stops.



Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid .

Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).

Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure if necessary.
  • law students with cases
  • hair color with warm skin tone
  • 1 comment:

    1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. power steering pump replacement cost

      ReplyDelete